Re: Yet another FC install: kernel panic after boot from DVD

On 13/03/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Before it gets to the initial screen which allows one to install in
> graphics or text mode.
>
> But I've not given up on that system. The other machine (AMD box) was
> overheating, and upon disassembaly I discovered that there was no
> white grease between the processor and the heat sink! As I have no
> white grease at home, I disassembled this box (P4) and salvaged it's
> grease. So until I get my hands on some more grease, this box is
> grounded.

You certainly get in to things. I have never known anyone before to
check the white grease between his processor and the heat sink.

I removed the fan to clean the heat sink, and figured "well, while I'm
at it...". But I do get into things: I drill holes in a brand new 2000
NIS cellphone so I can attach a lanyard and clip the rubber springs in
a brand new 300 NIS keyboard to quite it and make it more tactile.

But back to the kernel panic. If it occurs before initial install screen
I can't see what you can do about it form a software point of view
except muck around with the BIOS. I ma not sure why anyone would think
you could insert a noacpic or any other kernel parameter into the
process.

As soon as I get the machine back in a working state, which may be a
few weeks, I'll see what can be done with the BIOS. It's a 5 year old
M/B that has never seen a BIOS update, so it's very likely that
something is available. I understand that a FreeDOS disk can be used
to reflash BIOS on Linux systems.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/154/deftones.html
http://essentialinux.com/packages.php