RE: convert VHS to DVD

> I fixed up the odd tape or two by playing it through a $3000+ analogue
> vision mixer, it replaces everything outside of the horizontal and
> vertical blanking periods with internally generated ones, and
> DC-restores the signal.  But that's not the sort of equipment that the
> average person has to hand.  I work in video production and
> got sick of
> crap playback, so watched some movies through the desk.

I realize that this is getting a bit off topic, but I
have a project that has been stuck for a few years and
a few words of wisdom would be very welcome.

I have a set of Video Tapes (reel to reel) which go
in a Sony Video Tape Recorder.  I got the machine
working smoothly enough, but cannot get a stable signal
out of the box.  I tried both the RF output and the
video outputs.  I would like to get the tapes transferred
to digital media or at least VHS before they deteriorate
too much.  They are mostly 1970's vintage.

Do you thing a Time Base Corrector of the sort you can
find on ebay would have a chance of correcting this
situlation?  I realize there are no guarentees, but
would I be barking up the right tree?

Thanks for any help

Bob Styma