Re: FC6 and Samba

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 09:01 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>>> I cannot envision a scenario where a cifs mount would work out better
>>> than an NFS mount for a Linux client but you are a bright guy and could
>>> possibly enlighten me.
>>>
>> Probably not. Your posts indicate you have already made up your
>> mine, so it would be a wasted effort.
> ----
> I am a samba team member, if you think that I lack objectivity
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SambaWiki:About

Then why are you giving mis-information?
> ----
> > sure - a smbfs/cifs mount pretty much discards the concept of posix
> > users and doesn't understand Posix attributes, has no concept of the
> > case in file names and finally doesn't permit executables.

Then you have in "man mount.cifs":

uid=arg
   sets the uid that will own all files on the mounted filesystem.
   It may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid. This
   parameter  is ignored when the target server supports the CIFS
   Unix extensions.

file_mode=arg
   If the server does not support the CIFS Unix extensions this
   overrides the default file mode.

I would think to most people that this would be show that cifs
understands Posix users and attributes as long as the server does. I
can find the documentation that says Samba does support the Unix
extensions, but I would think that you would already know this.

There is also this in the cifs.txt file from the kernel documentation:

 The intent of this module is to provide the most advanced network
file system function for CIFS compliant servers, including better
POSIX compliance, secure per-user session establishment, high
performance safe distributed caching (oplock), optional packet
signing, large files, Unicode support and other internationalization
improvements. Since both Samba server and this filesystem client
support the CIFS Unix extensions, the combination can provide a
reasonable alternative to NFSv4 for fileserving in some Linux to
Linux environments, not just in Linux to Windows environments.

Mikkel