Re: Where is root mail going?

Hi;

Thanks for the topic.  The time has come for me as a relative newbie to
properly set up my root's system email.  I am using FC6, on a home
network with two computers (one a Linux with 2 users and one a
WindowsXP).  Some dumb questions follow:

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 19:00 +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On an FC6 installation that is about two months old, I finally decided
> to route roots email to user. I open /etc/aliases and I see this:
>
> # Person who should get root's mail
> #root:          marc
  ^^^ Note the comment (#) mark.

Should be 'root:     bill' --right?  (I am bill)

yes

> Who is marc, and why is he getting root's mail?

He isn't. The above example is commented, you can change "marc" to any
other local username, remove the hash mark and run "newaliases" to have
mail for root redirected to another user (which is one of the first
configuration steps an administrator should take)

I use evolution for email, but don't want to get system mail mixed up
with incoming emails.  How do I set up a special account in evolution?
Or, can I set it up to use a separate reader like 'mutt'?  What is the
usual way for root/users to view the system mail?  'bill' would want to
read the system mail caused by both 'bill' and 'randy' (the second Linux
user)?  Does WindowsXP generate system mail and should/could I see that
as well.  The XP mail is on the second computer.

I havn't used evolution in a while, but I have rules set up in Outlook to put root@ emails into a folder. You should be able to do the same thing in evolution.

XP only has the eventlog, no mail.

What is the usual filtering of system mail?  A lot of it seems to be
cruft to me.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

>  Should I be worried
> that the machine is compromised?

It isn't, this is the standard Sendmail (and in Fedora other MTAs using
the alternatives system ie. Postfix/Exim) aliases file.

[snip]
Michael.

--
Regards Bill