Re: Use tar to append?

Les Mikesell wrote:
Ed Greshko wrote:

Because use of amanda makes a nice way to do backups and takes care of all problems one may encounter trying to maintain their own set of tools/scripts. Thought you may want to give it a try. You don't have to. Just a suggestion. Have fun hacking at tar and gzip.

I'd recommend backuppc as perhaps an even more painless approach. I think there is an RPM available now although I haven't used it. Both amanda and backuppc will run basically unattended forever once you set them up. Backuppc needs some disk space on some computer on the network but uses compression and duplicate linking to keep a much longer history on line than you'd expect. It has a web interface to browse the backups and restore with options to download directly through the browser or restore back to the original location, and an option to create a tar file from a backup, optionally compressed and split to chunks of a specified size. You can let it do the online runs nightly, then archive to cd/dvd manually at whatever interval you want.

Sounds like a good thing to try.....

There is nothing like trying things and determining what works best for "you".

--
HOST SYSTEM RESPONDING, PROBABLY UP...