Re: openldap and FDS

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 03:12 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Where the heck is it?
>
> "Fedora Directory Server (FDS), Red Hat's open source LDAP server, makes
> setting up an enterprise directory server on Linux simple."
>
> Great! I'd like to have it! Anyone have a clue where this miracle cure
> lives and what the rpm package name is? I've never seen anything simple
> to set up openldap with and I really need it. I've got everything
> installed that I can find, and the only binaries that I have are
> in /usr/sbin and none are named "Fedora-DS", as this article alludes
> to.
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/28/2019258
>
> What throws me is that this piece says the package will install to /opt
> RedHat would smoke crack before using the /opt directory for anything.
> They have signs posted that read "Just say NO to /opt!", "We're an /opt
> free environment!" and "Save /opt, nuke Jane Fonda!" (some tree-hugging
> veggie-burger eater that snuck in, no doubt). I did check to see if it
> was dated April the first, which it isn't.  Ric
>
> p/s   *** I'll be damned- ***
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/install/7.1/sn.prepare.decide.html
> ..says that the default setup files are in /opt! I AM taken aback. My
> head is hurting from reading this document. I'm really hoping for easy
> as described in the linux.com article. The RedHat.com article mentions
> "Enterprise RedHat Linux" (translated $$$$) so I'm looking for the
> Fedora Version (the cheap seats)
----
probably installs to /opt because of its Netscape roots - more of which
you will find when you look at the base configuration and certificate
generation which are clearly Netscape Directory Server pedigree.

Never say never...

Installing Fedora Directory Server is relatively easy but if you don't
understand how LDAP works and can't operate LDAP basic commands
(ldapadd/ldapmodify/ldapsearch) from the command line, you aren't likely
to get very far, whether it's OpenLDAP or Fedora-DS

Craig