Re: Cannot open Firefox after closing her.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 18:36 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Recently, I've found that I'm unable to open Firefox after I close the
>> program. I close Firefox with the X button on the Title bar. When I
>> try to open it again, I am confronted with this:
>> Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window,
>> you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your
>> system.
>>
>> I've looked in /.mozilla/firefox/profile but there is no lock file.
>> Also, typing jobs at the command line shows me no jobs- not even
>> things that I know are running such as Opera and Kmail.
>>
>> This problem is reproducable: I reboot, and I can open Firefox.
>> However, after close, it will not reopen. How can I kill Fx so that I
>> can restart it, without shutting down?
>>
>> Dotan Cohen
>>
> This is not the answer but I am curious. I argue with my wife about this
> all the time. Do you get the same firefox behavior if you Quit under the
> file menu. I find it fairly common that firefox is running but the
> window does not open up on the deskttop. Then when I try to launch
> firefox again I get the same error you are getting and I need to run ps
> and kill all the firefoxs running.

My small knowledge of programming in C and Assembler indicates that it
*should* be unlikely to have different things happen depending on which
exit you choose.  The usual rule is to make 1 exit routine ( the code
that cleans up memory and releases it back to the system etc.) Though a
few years ago I was operating a Unix box for the Navy and there was a
problem that if a program was exited using the window widget ( the one
in the left of the title bar ) than that program wouldn't release memory
and eventually the machine would crash, so yeah I guess it's possible.

But specifically no I haven't seen any problem though I nearly always
use the X widget, occasionally I use the File Menu, I got out of the
habit of using the window widget - don't think I've used it at all since
the trouble I mentioned on UNIX.

Have you tried looking for any lock files that FFox uses, perhaps one is
left open causing your problem? how common a problem is it for you?  Has
it always been the same?  Of course there could be any number of plugins
or add-ons that might cause you problems too.  You might try making sure
you have 1 page with a simple file or an about:blank page before you
shut down, see if the problem goes away.

Scott