Re: Cannot open Firefox after closing her.

Phil Meyer wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
Recently, I've found that I'm unable to open Firefox after I close the
program. I close Firefox with the X button on the Title bar. When I
try to open it again, I am confronted with this:
Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window,
you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your
system.

I've looked in /.mozilla/firefox/profile but there is no lock file.
Also, typing jobs at the command line shows me no jobs- not even
things that I know are running such as Opera and Kmail.

This problem is reproducable: I reboot, and I can open Firefox.
However, after close, it will not reopen. How can I kill Fx so that I
can restart it, without shutting down?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/css.html
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_is_hdtv.html

This is typical of a plugin problem -- it doesn't let the browser 'end'.

As others have suggested, look at the process list and kill any running firefox programs, then start it again.

Also, examine what plugins you are using at what sites you visit, to determine what it is that is 'hanging' firefox. The mplayer or xine plugins can get into a mess where one of them does not complete, so subsequent instances of that plugin wait on the audio device to become available, thus causing firefox to not ever complete its exit.

I should add that at my house we haven't seen this behavior for quite some time now. The mplayer and xine and firefox folks have made lots of improvements in that last year.

As yourself, open a terminal and run:

$ ps | egrep "mplayer|firefox"

and kill any processes (PID) that show up.

Substitute whatever plugin name you wish.

There is a GUI tool for process control that my wife used to use, but for the life of me I cannot find it or remember what it was.

Good Luck!

When it happens here I do -

rm /root/.mozilla/firefox/0u7yhbtw.default/.parentlock