RE: PS/2 peripherals

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 11:07 -0800, Gareth Howlett wrote:
> I had a similar problem using one of our KVMs... it was very specific to
> a certain KVM/mobo combination though - a SuperMicro P8SCT motherboard
> with a noname (read: _cheap_) rack-mount KVM.  If you had the KVM
> selected to the SM machine when it booted, the keyboard and mouse would
> always work.  If the KVM wasn't selecting that machine during boot, the
> SM machine would never take keyboard/mouse inputs.  Luckily the KVM
> would still show you the video but the only access you have to the box
> is through the network.  Any other KVMs will work and attaching a PS/2
> keyboard/mouse always works.  The funny thing is that another SM machine
> right next to it (a PDSMi+) works just fine.
>
> I have a feeling the SM mobo would probe the PS/2 ports for a
> Keyboard/Mouse and if the KVM wasn't selected on that channel when the
> probe happened, the KVM wouldn't respond properly and the mobo would
> turn-off the PS/2 ports.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure-out
> whether this was a linux kernel, kudzu or BIOS probe though...  Anyone
> here have any thoughts on that one?

I was under the impression that decent PS/2 KVMs would emulate their
being a mouse and keyboard connected to each device, all the time,
albeit one that was doing nothing, to avoid those sorts of problems (PCs
ignoring PS/2 ports or devices if booted up without anything apparently
connected; Windows being unable to cope with you unplugging a PS/2
device, replugging it, then you wanting to carry on using it, etc.).

I think for any system you're using PS/2 with, and a KVM, you'd want to
turn off any auto-disable PS/2 options in your BIOS, to make life
easier.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.