Re: Cannot log in user on new FC6 install

Dotan Cohen wrote:
I've just replaced Kubuntu with FC6 on my desktop machine: 1.3 gHz
Duron processor with 1GB RAM. My /home partition from Kubuntu was not
formated, / was. I used the same username on both machines. When I try
to log in, I get a message that permision is denied, and that the
system cannot create ~/.gnome2 directory. The /home/user directory is
set to permissions 644 and both the group and owner are 'user', so I
don't see why it can't create the directory. When I log into the
console as root, I can cd into /home/user. However, when I log in as
user I as put into / and I cannot cd into /home/user.

What must I do?

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/451/sixpence_none_the_richer.html

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/404.html

Just off the top of my head it sounds like the username may be the same but I bet the UID isn't the same, which is what really matters. If you know the UID of the old username in Kubuntu, you can either change your new username in /etc/passwd to the same uid or change the uid in /home to match the new uid of the username. Got all that? :)

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator