Re: PS/2 peripherals

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:51 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
Our crash carts use USB keyboards and mice along with the USB-PS/2
adapters that come with them.

*Some* of those PS/2 to USB plug adaptors will only work with dual
purpose keyboards or mice.  They don't have any signal adaptor circuitry
in them, they just connect pins between the sockets.  You'd need a
special adaptor if you wanted it to be able to connect any keyboard or
mouse to a USB port.

All the ones that I've got are like that.

I just replaced some old servers at a colo site with IBM 3550's with no PS/2 connectors and found that the usb adapter we used works with an old keyboard/mouse connected directly but did not work with the KVM that was there. This particular kvm won't let you select a port without a computer connected so we had to leave the adapters connected to even be able to view the monitor output as they booted up. Fortunately the machines had been pre-configured and subsequent management will bed done over the network anyway so it won't matter too much.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx