Re: Reading NTFS partition from FC6

On 3/6/07, Jonathan Berry <berryja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/6/07, Larry Kelly <ldk2005@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for  the quick response.  Installed ntfs-3g on two dual-boot
> machines.  Created a /mnt/windows folder.  Ran the suggested command:
>
> ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
>
> I received this   "WARNING:  Deficient FUSE kernel module detected.. . . The
> same FUSE kernel has been included since version 2.6.28-rc1..."
>
> It still seems to work. I can see the partition.  Should I be concerned?

I don't think so.  At the very least, just be careful to umount it if
you make any changes and give it time to write everything out to disk.
 I believe that should be 2.6.20-rc1 above; we are probably a ways
away from 2.6.28 :-).  I do not know if any of the proper fixes have
been backported to the current FC6 kernel or not.

If you are using SELinux, you will probably run into issues if you
want to mount it on boot and umount it on shutdown.  SELinux doesn't
like something.

> Also:
>
> How do I tell which partitions belong to windows?  Or,  what type of
> partition it is?

If you don't already know, you can run /sbin/fdisk -l as root and it
should list them as NTFS type.  I forget what number it is, but I
think it should also say NTFS.

Thanks, it does list them as NTSF or W95 etc.

Jonathan

PS: So that you know, it is preferred on the list that you not
top-post (put your reply above the quoted text) and that emails be
sent in plain text rather than HTML.  Thanks.

--

Thanks for the reply and the etiquette tips.  I'm new to this list.

--
Best Regards,
-Larry