Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve Searle wrote:
>>> If most users had to set up an SMTP server, we know what would happen:
>>> They'd be set to accept mail from all domains, and relay to all, as it'd
>>> be too hard to work out how to do it otherwise.
>> This is precisely why a usable configuration should be supplied, so the >> users don't make such mistakes. Exactly the same is true for samba, >> ftp, sshd, and most other services. If someone has to set any of these >> up from scratch they are going to make mistakes the first time and have >> an insecure system.
> > Do you actually have any evidence that the configuration supplied is
> causing users to make mistakes and set up mail servers that do act as
> spam relays?  Or is it all just a pet theory?

I only know about my own mistakes which I'm not inclined to discuss here. What evidence do you have that everyone else gets this right every time without help from the distro?
You mean besides those of us who keep replying to you and who run our own mail servers?

I won't say I got it right every time but a quick Google for an error message or a few tests using somebody's web-mail service were usually sufficient to sort things out.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce