Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Les Mikesell:
Beg your pardon? Email as we know it can't work unless this happens.
Correction:  E-mail as *YOU* know it...
Yes, I consider both ends of the connection, as you've obviously ignored.

Explain this - It makes no sense in the context of the message.

The context is that many machines need to accept email via smtp over the internet. If you are able to send, something has to receive.

I've never had Linux accepting mail from the internet with its SMTP
server, in all the years that I've used Linux.  And only those with
their own domain name and/or fixed IP address could to that, either.
OK, and how many domain names and fixed IP addresses are there?  Do you
think those numbers make things unlikely?

Make what unlikely? That they would be running Sendmail, Fedora
Core, and would consider using a GUI to configure it? Definitely.

Historically whatever is in fedora and works will be in the next version of RHEL. I have no doubt that many ISPs use RHEL or some derivative and of course large number of businesses use it for their own servers. It's not just unlikely that they are using an unmodified RH/fedora configuration, it is impossible - but it doesn't have to be.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx