Re: Root's mail

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 13:30 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> But my own email is stored in ~/Mail/
> >> (in ~/Mail/inbox/ , etc).
> > What program do you use to read your mail?
>
> I use kmail to read my mail, which is stored in ~/Mail .
> I also use kmail to read root's mail, which is not stored in ~root/Mail .
>
> >> Was that a choice I made at some point in the long distant past?
> >> If not, why does root use a different spot?
> >>

> > What program do you use to read root's mail? Take a look at the
> > dates of the mail in /root/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ - they are
> > probably old messages.
>
> No, all messages for root are stored there.
> [I get daily messages there sent to non-existent users on my system.
> I might say that I get email by uucp, among other methods.]
>
> You haven't really answered my 2 questions:
>
> 1. Why is root's mail stored here?
> Was it because there wasn't a directory /root/Mail/
> when I first ran kmail as root?
>
> 2. Is there any way of changing where root, or any user,
> stores email?
>
> I don't see anything in kmail Settings which specifies
> where email is stored (after transfer from /var/spool/mail/ ).

If that is true, I bet there is a configuration file or configuration
option that you are missing. I just ran kmail for the first time and you
go through a configuration process where at one point you tell kmail
where to put you mail. You had to have done this as root and as yourself
so that the mail is in different places seems reasonable.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>