RE: Acer AL2223W desktop too wide

try opening up a terminal and type: xvidtune
adjust the sliders little by little and hit 'show'
paste what comes up in terminal into your xorg.conf file, save it and then try it. (trial & error) but be careful with 'xvidtune' because it says that it could damage your monitor if you don't know what you're doing~ i'm having a similar problem. i just got a touch screen for my system and it will display in 800x600 without any problems, but with 1024x768 it shows 'out of timing' i played around with 'xvidtune' a bit and got 1024x768 to come up without showing 'out of timing' on my monitor but part of the desktop can't be seen. i need to do a bit of adjusting too~
please let me know if you find out some other way to fix this problem!

thanks,
Ryan

I just bought a new Acer AL22223W 22" monitor.  Nice monitor indeed.

I have an Intel 915G video chipset in this machine.   After much head
scratching I determined that I need to run 915resolution to patch the bios so it will support 1680x1050 resolution. Without it I couldn't get anything more
than 1280x1024.

Therefore, I installed 915resolution and put this line
into /etc/sysconfig/915resolution:

# Mode to overwrite
 RESOLUTION="58 1680 1050"

Now I have 1680x1050 running but the picture is about 1/8" too short for the monitor and about 1/2" too wide on both sides. I have a 1/8" black strip at
the top and I'm missing about 1/2" of my desktop on both of the sides.

There doesn't appear to be a way to set the screensize directly on the
monitor. I know that some old CRT's used to have a "zoom" to make the screen
fit, but maybe LCD's don't work that way.

The on-screen menu tells me that the monitor is running at 1680x1050, H70, V64,
Analog input.  So I guess I have the right resolution on the screen; the
desktop is just the wrong size.

I generated a modeline this way:

gtf 1680 1050 60

and I got this:

# 1680x1050 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 65.22 kHz; pclk: 147.14 MHz
Modeline "1680x1050_60.00" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087
 -HSync +Vsync

However, when I put that in as the last line in the "Monitor" section of my
xorg.conf, the login screen comes up huge and only partly there, and when I log
in all I get is an error telling me that Nautilus can't start.

If I remove that line then everything works and I can log in at 1680x1050.

So I'm almost there. The resolution seems to be what it's supposed to be. How
can I tell it to make my desktop taller and narrower so it will fit on the
screen?

Find what you need at prices you?ll love. Compare products and save at MSN® Shopping. http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701