Re: Acer AL2223W desktop too wide

Frank Cox wrote:
> I just bought a new Acer AL22223W 22" monitor.  Nice monitor indeed.
>
> I have an Intel 915G video chipset in this machine.   After much head
> scratching I determined that I need to run 915resolution to patch the bios so
> it will support 1680x1050 resolution.  Without it I couldn't get anything more
> than 1280x1024.
>
> Therefore, I installed 915resolution and put this line
> into /etc/sysconfig/915resolution:
>
> # Mode to overwrite
>  RESOLUTION="58 1680 1050"
>
> Now I have 1680x1050 running but the picture is about 1/8" too short for the
> monitor and about 1/2" too wide on both sides.  I have a 1/8" black strip at
> the top and I'm missing about 1/2" of my desktop on both of the sides.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a way to set the screensize directly on the
> monitor.  I know that some old CRT's used to have a "zoom" to make the screen
> fit, but maybe LCD's don't work that way.
>
> The on-screen menu tells me that the monitor is running at 1680x1050, H70, V64,
> Analog input.  So I guess I have the right resolution on the screen; the
> desktop is just the wrong size.
>
> I generated a modeline this way:
>
> gtf 1680 1050 60
>
> and I got this:
>
> # 1680x1050 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 65.22 kHz; pclk: 147.14 MHz
> Modeline "1680x1050_60.00"  147.14  1680 1784 1968 2256  1050 1051 1054 1087
>  -HSync +Vsync
>
> However, when I put that in as the last line in the "Monitor" section of my
> xorg.conf, the login screen comes up huge and only partly there, and when I log
> in all I get is an error telling me that Nautilus can't start.
>
> If I remove that line then everything works and I can log in at 1680x1050.
>

> So I'm almost there.  The resolution seems to be what it's supposed to be.  How
> can I tell it to make my desktop taller and narrower so it will fit on the
> screen?

Is there an option in the on-screen menu something like "Auto
Adjust"? All of the LCD monitors I have used have had an option
something like that. Using that option will adjust the monitor to
the video output. If you can not adjust that way, you can try
running xvidtune. But I have not tried it with an LCD monitor.

Mikkel