Re: Consistency

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David G. Miller wrote:
>> Why should this differ from what you'd say about dovecot?
> When I set up dovecot I had to edit /etc/dovecot.conf before it worked:
> > diff dovecot.conf dovecot.conf.centos
> 14c14
> < protocols = imap imaps pop3
> ---
>  > #protocols = imap imaps
> 21,22c21,22
> < imap_listen = 192.168.255.254:143
> < pop3_listen = 192.168.255.254:110

I don't get it. I do 'yum install dovecot' and 'service dovecot start' and it answers on pop3/pop3s/imap/imaps on my network interface.
Is that the current fedora version you are describing?

I'm running dovecot under CentOS 4.4. I like more stability and less volatility for my server than FC provides. The "customization" is required since I only want dovecot to listen for IMAP/POP connections on my internal LAN. Yes, these ports are blocked on my external NIC but I like the idea that dovecot doesn't accept connections from an external address. I also vaguely remember that it complained for some reason I didn't specify just the internal network. Unfortunately, that was long enough ago that I don't recall the exact complaint.

Dovecot on my server is:

[root@fraud etc]# rpm -q dovecot
dovecot-0.99.11-4.EL4

It looks like 1.1 is available for FC6.  From "yum info dovecot":

Available Packages
Name   : dovecot
Arch   : i386
Version: 1.0