Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

OpenOffice is the particular thing I had in mind, but I suspect there are others. I'm not talking about additional packages - this is in reference to your comment about not deviating from upstream.

Again probably licensing reasons.

Licensing as in it is illegal to redistribute the upstream version, or licensing as in someone arbitrarily doesn't like or agree with the license?

Well defined package licensing guidelines for Fedora. Fedora includes only Free and open source software. Fedora clearly advertises this fact.

Does that mean we can expect fedora to immediately stop removing the parts of OpenOffice that require java?

When the JDK becomes completely Free and open source, sure. Parts of it is still legally encumbered. The Red Hat GCJ folks are working with Sun JDK folks to make this happen.

Documented as in 'man sendmail' where you expect to find documentation?

It is documented directly within the configuration file.

In other words you have to already know where to look before you can find the change specific to the distribution.

The natural place to look is inside the configuration file. It has been documented in guides, release notes etc.

It is difficult and inconsistent compared to enabling any other network service in the distribution.

Every service has its own requirements.

And how does that not apply here? If I change this setting and otherwise unrelated changes happen to this file in a subsequent RPM update, what is supposed to happen?

Read the packaging guidelines at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki.

And for consistency could you list the other programs that require anything like those steps to return them to their intended functionality? If nothing else you could at least admit that this is not the normal way to configure fedora network services.

See above. If you have sendmail enhancements or configuration changes to request, file a report at http://bugzilla.redhat.com to talk to the maintainer.

Rahul