Grub stage2Read error

I've read about other people experiencing this problem but I have yet to find a definitive fix. Below is my hardware and setup configuration. I've tried on other Linux Distributions as well as other boot loaders (lilo), but the result is still the same, failure to boot after install. Like similar posts, I can get fc6 to install and run if I pull out the Adaptec card and install, but that really doesn't help me out. I've tried mucking around with the BIOS configurations with no luck...I did make sure that the device order was Perc 3/di, then Adaptec. I've even tried turning off the BIOS in both the raid controller configs, but that really didn't improve my situation. I'm beginning to think that the only way to get Linux on this box is to use only a single raid controller to control both the internal and external disk array. I'm not a hardware expert, but I'd imagine that the performance of 2 raid controllers is greater than that of 1.
If anyone has a clue, feel free to pass it along.

Hardware:
Dell PowerEdge 2650 w/ Perc 3/DI Raid controller (5 73GB drives)
Additional Adaptec 2120S Raid Controller linked to PowerVault 220S (4 173GB drives)

Raid Config:
Perc 3/DI: 1 plain volume (1st volume), 2 sets of mirrored volumes
PowerVault 220S: 1 raid 10 volume.

Partitioning:
/boot and SWAP on plain volume
/ on 1 mirror