Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Todd Zullinger wrote:

It is documented directly within the configuration file.
In other words you have to already know where to look before you can
find the change specific to the distribution.

Right, you have to know how to configure sendmail before you can begin
to configure it.  What class of moron^wsysadmin are you advocating
Fedora cater to in setting up a functional MTA able to send and
receive on the internet?

The same people who use fedora for any other task - like permitting inbound ssh access, which is probably more likely to allow their machine to be compromised. These people are better off with standard working configurations than mucking around in a poorly documented config file.

I find it to be quite wise that the daemon
is shipped with the minimum needed settings to allow it to operate.

Perhaps you missed the point that sending is permitted by the stock distribution.

By default, sendmail is needed on a Fedora box to accept mail
generated by cron jobs and such.  It does this quite well (and hence
isn't "broken" no matter how many times you repeat that mantra).

But none of the usual fedora invocations to activate a network service work. That is the broken part.

In order to configure sendmail to accept network connections, further
configuration is needed and the sysadmin should definitely read the
documentation.

It is needed only because it isn't provided in the distribution.

As I don't use sendmail at all (having long ago decided that it's
configuration was made of pure crack), I don't have any interest in
submitting patches upstream or to Fedora's sendmail maintainer(s).

So why do you think you should qualify as a cheerleader for the way the distribution's configuration works? If it was handled like all the other programs in the distribution it would be unlikely that you would ever have to edit a configuration file.

But perhaps you would be interested in doing so as you seem to be very
convinced that this behavior should be changed or at least better
documented.

It's kind of irrelevant to me, since I have a working configuration, but others seem to be interested in the popularity of the distribution and this is something that might affect it. And it is certainly a counterexample to a policy of staying close to the defaults of the developer's version.

BTW, did you ever file any bugs since the last time this was discussed
to death?  It'd be handy to have them here for reference the next time
this comes up.

No, I don't consider it a bug. It is clearly disfunctional as distributed by design.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx