Re: We need a new subject- bug fixes

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>Setting up sendmail to receive mail from the internet isn't meant
>>for normal human beings.
>
> You mean unlike trivial things like building a working kernel, or
> configuring ssh securely, or getting cups to print, or installing a
> DNS server?

No.  I simply meant not for normal human beings because normal human
beings don't read any documentation nor do they have any competency to
configure network facing daemons on their systems.

> Those other things I mentioned are also trivial for the few dozen
> people that do them all the time.  The rest of us don't have to deal
> with it because it works as distributed.

Just because there are easier ways to enable other services doesn't
mean that sendmail as shipped is broken.  Sendmail is something of a
pain to configure because upstream sendmail is hard to configure.

If it were my choice, I'd prefer to see a much smaller and simpler MTA
shipped as default that would handle the meager needs of most Fedora
systems.  That might also allow a sendmail package to be made which
accepted network connections by default.

> That wouldn't be necessary if the distribution supplied a way to
> activate a working configuration as it does for other services.

File a bug[1].  Create a GUI config tool.  Submit doc patches.  There
are many ways that you could constructively help the situation.  I
don't think I really disagree with you that much about this.  What
gets me is that you repeatedly say Fedora ships a broken sendmail when
that is simply untrue.  You just don't like the way it is configured
by Fedora.  So do something about it.

[1] if there isn't one already filed.  If there is, send it along so
others that agree can chime in and work on a solution.

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
    -- Jeremy S. Anderson