Re: Dell says all aboard for Linux PCs

When Dell first shipped Linux on servers, it was much cheaper than
Windows (hundreds of $).  Later, they raised the price for a server
with RHEL to nearly the same and sometimes more than a Windows-based
server.  But you have been able to purchase Linux on Dell servers for
a very long time (it's even supported).  I am glad they are finally
planning to offer Linux for desktops.  I hope they also offer dual
boot machines.  For example on one project at work we needed dual boot
machines but VA would ship only Linux so we purchased less of their
machines and purchased Windows elsewhere (lost revenue opportunity for
VA).

One observation and I hope Red Hat is reading this:  Before RHL became
Fedora, Dell would have most likely used RHL as they already had
agreements with Red Hat for servers.  Notice that the first Linux
option will most likely be SuSE and that Fedora is mentioned as a
possible later alternative, but no mention (so far) of Red Hat.  5
years ago, Red Hat WAS Linux to many, especially PHBs.  This IS market
erosion.

I think the announcements by ESR further reflect this erosion in
mindshare and low-end market penetration by Red Hat.  Maybe the OLPC
effort and new efforts on the part of the Fedora community will
reverse this trend but it may be too late.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton

On 2/26/07, John Yanosko <johgn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:56 -0500, jack wallen wrote:

> from what i understand, the same machine loaded with linux will cost
> approximately $53.00 USD more than the same machine with Vista. i can't
> quite figure that one out. anyone care to explain?

Dell gets money from AOL and the proprietary crippleware vendors on the
Windows platform.  But beyond than that, price is a function of demand,
not cost.  Dell will charge whatever you will pay.

--
John Yanosko