Re: cross compiling on x86_64

Philippe A. writes:

« HTML content follows »
I have installed FC6 x86_64 on my new system. I would like to know how I can compile a 32 bit freetype package. The following didn't work:

rpmbuild -bb freetype.spec -bb --target i386

It fails with these errors:

checking build system type... x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i386-redhat-linux-gnu

I do not believe that rpm's stock configuration supports cross-building to a different architecture. The --target parameter only sets the architecture label on the resulting rpms, and not much more.

Cross-compilation is not trivial to set up. You must install, beforehand, the i386 build of every library that your software compiles against, and you must know, beforehand, what they are. Then, you'll need to arrange, somehow, for the software's configuration script and makefile pass the -m32 option to gcc.

It's rather unlikely that freetype's rpm and configure script implements all of this.