Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Chris Mohler wrote:
Since when could Windows XP not open zips by default? I just installed
XP for someone and I can open zip files just fine. I also do not have
Winzip installed on a laptop and it opens zip files and can create zip
files without winzip having been downloaded or any other archive manager
for that matter. Are there version of winxp that can not zip and unzip?
=-/ Weird.

Alex White

Maybe I'm thinking of win2k.  The point still stands: a plain ol' XP
install isn't goint to give you much joy.  If it'll open a ZIP, how
about DOC? PPT? Any MS Office file?  Or SVG,  AI,  PSD?  What about a
plain old PDF?

These are things handled by 'yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop
Environment"', with zero human interaction required.

Chris
Oh no! I wasn't arguin' for XP. I just, was pretty sure that XP did. 2k sure didn't. And it sure can't do anything else by default that Fedora can. I'm a CentOS user, but I have FC6 on a laptop, and it runs well. I don't use office though, I'm an emacs user lol. I completely understand the point you're making.

Perhaps I should delete 'emacs' from this e-mail so there's no holy war. ;)

Sincerely,

Alex White