Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

On 24/02/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> Fedora has to
> compete with a one-disk install of Windows XP, that can be installed
> in an hour with no babysitting. Fedora installs require one to switch
> disk three or four times.

No way.  Win XP comes with NOTHING.  You can't even open ZIP file. FC
includes thousands(?) of programs.  Not a fair comparison.

Since FC5, I only download the first two discs and do a minimal
install.  I then yum groupinstall Gnome, KDE, etc.  Actual time I need
to be present is about an hour - do XP and say 100 applications and
tell me how long it takes you.

Chris

XP can open zips, but not rars. And even though this is supposed to be
a technical university, people don't look at the 50 disks that they
need to install XP, Office, anti-this and anti-that. They have one
(pirated) disk labeled XP, and it installs. Fedora has 5.

You can argue with me, but you'd be argueing with someone who agrees
with you. I'm telling you how the public views Fedora. Because I deal
with them, because I try to help them. Not myself, and not Fedora. I
try to explain why pirating is bad, and the dangers of XP, and the few
people who actually are receptive, are discouraged by the fact that
they need 5 install disks. It makes fedora seems complicated, a
preconception that people already have of linux in general.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/eng/dell.php
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/92/321/madonna/madonna.html