Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 24/02/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree that one distro should not be both server AND desktop. Even M$
> has a desktop version of Windows (Vista) and a server version
> (Server). Well, it might be more like trashcan version and spambot
> version, but you get the point.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Strange complaint, since Fedora will have a Desktop and a Server spin
- or are you implying that the diff. Windows "versions" are more than
spins?

That wasn't a complaint. Rather, I see the wisdom in 'spins' and think
that it should have been done a long time ago. I'm also rather hoping
that the powers that be will get it down to THREE DISKS maximum. I've
already had to install Kubuntu on peoples machines because 5 disks is
way to much to have a potential convert download.

The whole idea of spins is that we need to continue serving completely conflicting requirements. What would we do with all the end users who need to have all the packages in the media since they dont have a good network access to pull packages off a repository? The number of CD's is by no means the final criteria for selction. This is the reason there is a broad range of choice provided now right from a single installable live cd to a complete DVD set with 2 or 3 DVD's depending on the architecture. Plus, you get the tools to produce your own live cd or spin in a trivial fashion.

Rahul