Re: What are these ata errors?

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 20:31 -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2/22/07, Dan Hensley <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Anyone?  Please?  Very little information showed up from a Google
> > > search.
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > I see a lot of hits:
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=exception+Emask+0x0+SAct+0x0+Err+0x0+action+0x0&spell=1

When I searched I got exactly 3 hits.  One was in German, one was
completely useless.  The other was the 2nd link that the below search
provided.  It gave some general information on what to do, but nothing
specific enough.

> Chris,
> A search that is actually useful:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22tag+0+cmd+0xb0+Emask+0x1+stat+0x51+err+0x4+(device+error)%22
> yeilds 1-5 of 15 hits (one of which is Dan's email).  Hits on Google
> for some random terms does not equal information, sorry.

Jonathan, thanks for the reply.

> I have not had any issues, so I have just ignored them.  The little
> bit of info out on the web seems to indicate the errors are benign.
> The first hit on my Google search seems to indicate that it is a
> problem with the drivers for nForce chipset SATA controllers.  I have
> an nForce4 motherboard (Gigabyte, actually, like several posts on that
> page) and an SATA II drive.  What hardware do you have?  Everything
> points to this being not a real issue, so I would not worry about it.

I have a Gigabyte board too with the nForce4 chip.  What is strange is
that I have a WD 250Gb hard drive, model JS.  It does not return any
errors.  The drive that returns the errors is a WD 250Gb hard drive,
model KS.  Go figure.

I haven't had any issues either, so I'm ignoring the errors for now.
The LKML thread talked about changing the system scripts to not issue
unsupported commands.  What system scripts, and change them how?  That's
the part that wasn't clear to me.  I suppose he meant /etc/smartd.conf,
but so far I'm not sure how to configure it not to issue unsupported
commands.

Thanks,
Dan