Re: Install-no errors-no Fedora

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Wednesday 21 February 2007 18:50, Mike Adolf wrote:
Greetings,
I just ran the Fedora 6 GUI installer from DVD download.  It pretty much
did its own thing, not requiring much interface.  I don't recall seeing
a boot loader MBR choice or question. After rebooting, I expected to see
a grub or lilo boot loader, but nothing.  It just went directly to
Windows.  In a second attempt, I selected the drive I installed on as
the boot device - got "error loading OS".  What do I do now?  Did I miss
something?

Thanks,
Mike

Just out of interest what machine make/model is this on? . I've seen there are problems with setting up dual booting on some Dell machines. It's something to do with these machines having some sort of sytem reinstall stuff at the beginning of the drive in case you put your windows system out to lunch.

If you try to install Linux on these machines, Dell's fantastic reinstall system stuff at the beginning of the drive prevents Grub being installed in the MBR.

Nigel.

My machine is a Dell xps 410. Other distros, suse and kubuntu, were able to install grub in the windows MBR, but they didn't work very well. Also, I already fried Windows once, and the Dell engineers could not get their hda restore block to work and we ended up reformatting hda. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I probably will try the install again, and look for some custom setting to make my second disk the linux boot disk.

Mike