Re: Getting e-mail from GMail but without keeping messages

Steve Siegfried wrote:
Paul Smith wrote:

On 2/20/07, Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do not want to store messages locally to minimize the risk of them
being spied by someone else. With the CustomizeGoogle extension of
Firefox, one can read GMail accounts with the https protocol, which
encrypts the communications between my machine and GMail servers.

But are HTTP pages cached in your browser?

I'd suggest that your mail cannot be casually spied upon on your
computer if you do not share log-ins, and don't leave your computer
without logging out or locking out access.

But the traffic containing the messages may be spied between my
computer and the GMail server. If the traffic obeys to the https
protocol, hence it may be spied but it will be useless for the spier.

Paul

You are chasing the wrong suspect.  GMAIL keeps EVERYTHING!!!  It never
dies.
Your mail may remain on their servers and be searchable forever.  If you
want to secure mail of a specific nature, you must use local encryption
and you and the receiving party need your own encryption/decryption
processes, preferably on a system that is never accessable to the
external (www) network.

I am not chasing GMAIL; I am trying to avoid that someone of the local
system administration team spies my e-mail, although I think none of
them really cares about my messages... :-)

Paul

Unlike snail mail or your conversations on company provided telephones
(both of which give you a reasonable expectation of privacy in the
4'th amendment sense),  you have no right to privacy on any computer
or network provided by your employer.  And since your employer owns
the computer and network gear, they also have the right to "inspect"
it any time and in any manner they see fit.

Thus if you're concerned that anyone from the company where you work
is monitoring your email, you need to keep your email completely off
the company's systems _and_ you should NOT read that email from any
of their gear.  Using any of your employer's gear to read your email,

Actually, in the USA, an employer in that circumstance has a right
to inspect the e-mail.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.