Re: Good Project Ideas Please..

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 06:33 -0600, lostson wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 February 2007 4:36:07 am John Bowden wrote:

> > > And I, for one, halfway agree.
> > >
> > > ( i was temptd to wrt: &i41,1/2 agree.  but I won't)
> > > --
> > > Regards Bill
> >
> > How about some software that allows me to connect my Blood sugar testing
> > meter(s) to my linux box and download the data on. The manufacturers
> > only produce windoz software.
> > --
> > Registered Linux user number 414240
> > Guy Fawkes the only person to enter the Parliament with honest
> > intentions and he was going to blow them up
>
>   Hmm this would be something I would be interested as well, as my mother is
> diabetic and her doctor requires her to write down and keep track of her
> levels. She hates XP and Vista and having a app to keep track of her testings
> would give her cause to move to Linux.

You can count me on that one as well.  It would be really nice if it
would load it into a spreadsheet, or at least make it a comma separated
list something like

 date, time,event, level, insulin, calories, exercise

and maybe a couple of other entries.  I would think some doctor would be
willing to help you define the right fields.

The interfaces are all serial or usb, but I suspect some high end stuff
either is avail or will be with bluetooth or IR.  The messages seem to
vary a bit between devices, so some kind of plugin to handle different
manufacturers would be necessary, but that could come later if you put
the right hooks in.

Being able to plot caloric intake or exercise with blood sugar would
really help type II folks.  Insulin logs for the type I's would be
necessary.

Regards,
Les H
Diabetic and hating it.