Re: Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Robert Locke wrote:

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 09:08 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Tim wrote:

Timothy Murphy:
Some program re-writes /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
when I re-boot.

<snip>

Thinking more about the original poster's question, I'm wondering if
they have kudzu running each bootup, and whether it does it.

That was my suspicion, although I don't recall it ever changing anything
in my installation.  On the other hand, my devices were all properly
detected, so I haven't modified the files myself either.

There's an issue about the order in which devices are detected on bootup
(hence what names the interfaces get) that is fixed by using the latest
initscripts update.

But before we diagnose the problem, we need to know exactly what fields
are being reset.

Matt,

Didn't you tell us a few months ago about a bug/feature where the NIC
wasn't properly detected during installation, and because the HWADDR did
not get added correctly, kudzu might be coming up with "re-creating" the
interface?

Yes, see my penultimate paragraph above.

You mention having the latest initscripts, but perhaps if he is
installing original FC6 versus the Unity respin?

It looks like the final fix is only in initscripts-8.45.7-1 (for FC6). Anything earlier might arbitrarily rename certain network devices on boot. I don't think it would necessarily change the *contents* of ifcfg-*, but would definitely change the *names*, so it might seem like the contents change.

Setting HWADDR might also be necessary, even with latest initscripts. I always set that, so I haven't tested without it.

Or perhaps the OP's "editing" (wasn't it in a kickstart) is eradicating
something?

Anyway, just tossing some things in to the mix....

--Rob

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences