Re: Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Tim wrote:

Timothy Murphy:
Some program re-writes /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
when I re-boot.

Matthew Saltzman:
I don't think the DHCP client changes anything in
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0.  It may set the contents of /etc/resolv.conf.

I just had another look at this.  There is no /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0
file, do you have something extra?

# locate ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

They're all the same:

Actaully, I meant /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and I suspect that the OP did as well.

Aside: The files you mention above are identical because they are mutually hard-linked. AIUI, all detected devices have files in the devices/ directory. Different profiles may have different devices active in them, so they are hard-linked to devices/ entries, and the ones in network-scripts are links to the files in the active profile.

# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:02:44:70:81:A8
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=serge
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

This box does use DHCP to set the IP address, and all those files have a
file date from last December.  I can never remember how to tell, but I
seem to recall reading that they're all the same file, two of them are
links to the other.

Thinking more about the original poster's question, I'm wondering if
they have kudzu running each bootup, and whether it does it.

That was my suspicion, although I don't recall it ever changing anything in my installation. On the other hand, my devices were all properly detected, so I haven't modified the files myself either.

There's an issue about the order in which devices are detected on bootup (hence what names the interfaces get) that is fixed by using the latest initscripts update.

But before we diagnose the problem, we need to know exactly what fields are being reset.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu