Re: OT: which Linux for WRT54GL?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 18:22:33 +0100,
  Andras Simon <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not losing too much sleep over this. Knowing next to nothing about

That's a reasonable attitude for most people.

> networking, I'm just guessing, but couldn't such a backdoor be found
> out pretty easily? And if not, how about the hardware (of the

It would be hard to find by examining the binary or when it wasn't being used.
When it was being used it wouldn't be too hard to detect if it was sending
a significant amount of traffic compared to normal external traffic being
sent at the same time.

> router/network card/adsl modem): can you inspect them all?

Yes, that is a problem. Right now it probably wouldn't be worth it to have
backdoors installed in the actual hardware chips (excepting firmware).
Someday the really paranoid may want to program their own hardware (at least
for the network hardware). Though once you get to that point you probably
don't want a connection to the internet period.