Focus stealing in Gnome in FC6

Hey everyone,
This is kind of an old question, but I just have not gotten around to
asking it.  Gnome in FC5 had protections against programs stealing
focus.  This seems to be absent, or much reduced in FC6.  I know there
was some outcry against the extent of the non-focus stealing (like
launching programs from the terminal).  But I rather liked the focus
stealing prevention and programs popping up in FC6 and taking the
focus has become annoying.  What happened exactly to these
protections?  Were they removed/lessened upstream?  Or was this a
reaction by Redhat to the outcry from FC5?  Or was it unintentional?
Just curious.  Well, and tossing my vote in favor of focus stealing
prevention :-).
Jonathan