Re: FC5 x86_64 to FC6 asks for i386 dependencies

Javier Perez writes:

This is weird

So far, it looks like it is updating everything else properly, but I wonder if these i368 stuff may conflict with the x86_64 libs

They won't, but that's beside the point. Something, somewhere, is still screwed up.

I nuked all i386 crap ages ago, and have kept FC 6 up to date for a long time now, and not once did anything in i386-land tried to sneak back in. I can confirm that if all i386 stuff is properly removed, you'll never see it again.

Now, you have to be careful. When you zapped all the i386 packages, you should've taken some extra tender-loving-care to keep rpm happy. Bug 223639 also gets triggered when removing an i386 package when an x86_64 package remains installed. I filed this bug against a slightly different situation, but it applies equally well to this case.

Now, presumably, the last i386 package you ended up removing was glibc.i386. That's the last i386 arch rpm that gets nuked off, when you're cleaning out all 32 bit stuff on x86_64. All other i386 packages have a dependency on glibc.i386. Now, I did not see glibc.i386 in the list that you posted of packages that yum wanted to install. yum would not want to install those packages unless their prerequisites -- of which glibc.i386 is certainly one -- are already installed.

So, I suspect that you still have both glibc.x86_64 and glibc.i386 installed. I don't see how that would prompt yum into sucking down more i386 crap, though, but, well, who knows.

So, I think that you need to fumigate your box even further, but you need to be careful doing that, keeping my bug in mind. After nuking glibc.i386, you'll probably find that "rpm -V glibc" will complain that a crapload of locale files, man pages, and doc files will be missing. You'll need to reinstall the glibc.x86_64 to finish the repair job, using "rpm -U --replacepkgs". And you 'ought to do the same for all other i386 packages that you nuked earlier; it's very likely that the act of removing them also blew away any locale files, man pages, and doc files that should not've been removed because they were still owned by the x86_64 package.