Re: Broken Wireless Connectivity

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 18:54 +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> I've been a bit stupid and now something that used to work no longer does.
>
> My main desktop machine connects to the internet via a wireless
> network. It uses a PCI wireless card that is identified by the network
> configuration wizard as "Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
> chipset".
>
> The wireless connection was set up under FC5 and worked for months
> without any problems. I upgraded to FC6 and it continued to work
> without problems.
>
> Then last weekend I had some problems with my wireless access point
> and as part of the diagnosis I removed the configured wireless
> connection and re-added it. And since then it hasn't worked at all. I
> mean that when I try to activate the connection from the network
> configuration wizard, it fails to get a DHCP lease.
>
> So, my current theory is that the wireless networking configuration
> stuff changed in some subtle way between FC5 and FC6. But I don't know
> how to track down what the problem is.
>
> Some things that might be useful:
>
> The connection loads the orinoco_pci module. I don't remember what it
> used to use, but I don't think it was that. I'm certain that the
> wireless connection used to be eth0, but now it's called wifi0.
>
> Running 'iwconfig' shows two wireless connections called wifi0 (the
> one I configured) and wlan0. This second one seems to be a "ghost"
> connection as any changes I make to wifi0 also happen to wlan0. For
> example if I change the ESSID on wifi0, then it is also changed on
> wlan0.
>
> The HAL hardware browser shows two interfaces on that card - once
> called "WLAN Interface" with a device type of net.80211 and another
> called "Networking Wireless Control Interface" with a device type of
> net.80211.control. I don't know whether or not that was the case
> before I screwed it all up.
>
> I thought I knew what I was doing with wireless networking, but this
> is going wrong at an altogether lower level than I'm comfortable with.
> If anyone can talk me through debugging this problem then I'd be very
> grateful.
>
> Let me know if there's any more information that would be useful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave...

I would try the following. Stop the script network from running using
chkconfig and run NetwoirkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher in its
place.
reboot. A applet called nm-applet will start running when you login and
put a icon in the  right corner of your upper panel. Right click on the
icon and you should see the available access point(s). Click on the one
you want. A dot circling display will occur and finally upon connection
a series of vertical bars. Along the way to connecting the first time
you will have a chance to enter the id of the access point and a WEP
password if you haven't done this. I have not set up a new access point
in awhile so I  can't describe exactly what you will see in the initial
configuration steps but it is fairly self explanatory in my memory. Ask
again if you need further clarification.
The only thing better than love is milk.