Re: Question about DST changes in the US

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ntp and fedora always run in UTC which doesn't change for local DST

Mike McCarty asked:
> Are you sure about this, Les? I've got a Fedora install, and I recall
> specifically telling it to use hardware time, not UTC, and when I
> boot Windows XP it tells me the same time as Fedora.

Les replied:
> Yes, it can keep the motherboard hardware clock in localtime but internally
> everything is UTC and converted to the user's timezone for

Mike asked:
> I realize this. That isn't what I was questioning. I realize that
> the timekeeping routines maintain GMT rather than local time.

I think you mis-read Les' original post. I don't think he was trying to
say that the hardware clock is (necessarily) UTC -- the hardware clock
isn't strictly Fedora and could be on local time without invalidating
the first quote.

Hope this helps,

James.

--