Re: Is my hard drive thrashed?

On 2/16/07, Dan Hensley <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
All I know is that I now doubt that my hard drive is the problem.  It's
working fine now.  GRUB boots.  About the only thing I can think of that
I did was turn on SATA channel 2 in the BIOS (was off because I only
have 1 SATA drive), and changed drive boot order in the BIOS so the SATA
drive is first in the list.  I have an IDE drive on as well that I use
for nightly rsync backups, but it's not bootable as far as I know.

Umm... this could be a problem.  Changing the drive order in the BIOS
can confuse GRUB.  GRUB is very low-level and uses the BIOS to access
disks.  If you change the drive order, GRUB could then be pointing at
the wrong drive, and thus will not work.

> Your drive was questionable, as you found out.  You may have a bad RAM
> stick (pop your sticks out, reseat them and run memtest86) or your power
> supply may be getting weak (slap on a DMM and check it).  You'd be
> amazed at how weird a machine can get if the power supply is dying.

My power supply died several months ago, so I replaced it with a new
Antec one.  So I doubt that's it.  I haven't run memtest86 recently.

A power supplying dying can wreak havoc on a system.  I would test all
of your components that were attached to that PSU as best you can.  It
could have damaged anything it was attached to when it failed.

Jonathan