Re: VMWare server on FC4

On 2/17/07, fedoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <fedoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm trying to install VMWare Server on FC4 and have hit a wall. My
>> knowledge of dealing with the kernel is quite limited. Any advice is
>> much appreciated.
>>
>> First, i installed the kernel-devel package with yum:
>>
>> $ rpm -qa | grep kernel
>> kernel-devel-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
>> kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
>> kernel-2.6.9-1.667
>>
>> yum told me there were no updates for gcc, gcc-c++, or xinetd. This is
>> what i have installed:
>>
>> $ rpm -qa | grep gcc
>> compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-47.fc4
>> compat-gcc-32-c++-3.2.3-47.fc4
>> gcc-4.0.2-8.fc4
>> gcc-java-4.0.2-8.fc4
>> gcc-gfortran-4.0.2-8.fc4
>> compat-gcc-32-g77-3.2.3-47.fc4
>> gcc-c++-4.0.2-8.fc4
>> libgcc-4.0.2-8.fc4
>>
>> $ rpm -qa | grep xinetd
>> xinetd-2.3.13-6
>>
>> I downloaded and installed VMware-server-1.0.1-29996, then found and
>> unpacked vmware-any-any-update108 and ran the runme.pl. This is where
>> the story left off:
>>
>> -- snip --
>>
>> Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.
>>
>> None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for
>> your running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon
>> module for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your
>> system)? [yes]
>>
>> Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.
>>
>> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.0.0", while you are trying
>> to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.0.2". This configuration is not
>> recommended and VMware Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try
>> to use exactly same compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do
>> you want to go with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.0.2" anyway?
>> [no] yes
>>
>> -- snip --
>> (i thought i'd give it a try)
>> -- snip --
>>
>> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
>> running
>> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
>>
>> -- snip --
>> I don't have this dir, but shouldn't kernel-devel have installed there?
>> I poked around and came up with something that looked promising:
>> -- snip --
>>
>> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
>> running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
>> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-i686/
>>
>> The path "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-i686" is an existing
>> directory, but it does not contain a "linux" subdirectory as expected
>>
>> -- snip --
>>
>> So, am i SOL here? I'd really prefer not to upgrade to FC5 at this time.
>>   Do i need to downgrade GCC? I must have let yum update it while
>> installing something else, but i can't remember when or why that was.

> [...]

Tried that but no go. I grepped for 'headers' on my installed RPMs and
figured out the correct package names:

$ yum update glibc-kernheaders glibc-headers

Updating:
  glibc-headers           i386       2.3.6-3          updates-released
607 k
Updating for dependencies:
  glibc                   i686       2.3.6-3          updates-released
6.2 M
  glibc-common            i386       2.3.6-3          updates-released
  16 M
  glibc-devel             i386       2.3.6-3          updates-released
1.9 M

I'll give this a go and try VMWare again. I have to run out for a bit,
so i'll have to do that later and report back. Thanks for the hint!

Perhaps, to make kernel-headers "active" after installation, you need
to reboot your computer.

Paul