Re: Is my hard drive thrashed?

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 21:27 -0700, Dan Hensley wrote:

> I posted what happenend in my original e-mail in this thread.

Went back and had a look at it...

> When my system boots, I see
>
> GRUB
>
> and then my system hangs right there.  I have absolutely no idea what
> causes it or why.  Last time it was after doing a kernel update.

Of which the only part of GRUB that gets changed, by that, is
the /boot/grub.conf file.  All the other bits of GRUB that were
installed in the MBR, etc., are left alone.

That leads to a few possible conclusions:

You have other devices on your system, perhaps removable ones that
aren't always there (like USB drives), and the system miscounts which
drive it should be booting from.  Though I wouldn't expect you to even
get as far as the stuck GRUB screen for that error.  Or that you'd get
as far as the GRUB menu, then it'd get lost.

You've got a wonky hard drive, and when that grub.conf file got updated,
a corruption crept in.  Apon reboot, GRUB errored while using it.

You've got a wonky drive, and it's hit and miss that other things on it
manage to be read.  In particular, boot records, or the partitions where
the other parts of GRUB are stored as files (stage 2, etc.).  Though
those stages don't get changed during updates, either.  You might want
to run a smart test on it to see what the drive says about itself.  man
smartctl

 Start a short test: smartctl -a -t short /dev/hda
 Or start a long test  smartctl -a -t long /dev/hda
 After, review the results:  smartctl -a /dev/hda
 (change the /dev/hda device parameter to your disk drive device)

You had a strange partition set up, where one overlaps another, so
things get damaged as something is saved.  Though I can't imagine that
happening, unless you partitioned by hand.

You have other hardware (power, motherboard, etc.) issues.