Re: a humble request

Tim:
>> Why have a computer which automates repetitive tasks, if you're going to
>> much of the work yourself?  Have you wiped out your fstab file, and
>> mount every partition by hand each time you boot up?

Mike McCarty:
> The only partition which is automatically mounted is /, yes.
> But that does not mean that fstab is "wiped". It has entries
> for 26 mounts.
>
> I suppose that, should you insert a Windows disc with a "setup.exe"
> on it, you want automatically to start Wine and run the installer?

I never advocated auto-runs, and never will.  Nine times out of ten when
I insert a disc, I want to browse the contents, or get something
specific, not run someone's driver installation routine, or OS
installation, or application installation...

>> Linux's bloody awful management of removable media also annoys me,
>> it's only recently got more sane.

> Well, all *NIX style OS are "bloody awful", I agree. I don't agree
> that it is getting better.

I think it is.  It's less painful, now to insert and remove a CD-ROM.
Usually mine manages to mount it properly upon in insertion (I've turned
off the thing that opens a browse window at the same time, I don't
usually want to go through the contents with Nautilus, it's a sucky file
browser).  It, also, usually manages to eject a disc when I press the
eject button.  Though there's times it won't let its grip go on a
read-only medium, even after I've gone through and "killed" anything
that might have been paying attention to the drive.

I see no earthly reason why a read-only disc shouldn't be releasble from
the drive.  If the PC wants it back again, it could ask you to reinsert
volume "my-february-data" and wait for you to do so, carrying on doing
other things in the meantime.  My fifteen year old Amiga managed to do
that quite well.

> But having things "automatically mount and do something for you"
> strikes me as more the Windows way of doing things than anything else,
> and one of the things about Windows which annoys me quite a bit.

Doing all your computers work for it seems to be the Linux way...

While I hadn't advocated auto-mounting, I certainly do.  I tend to find
that when one inserts a floppy, CD, DVD, memory card, that one wants to
use at that moment.  Likewise, removal of removable media ought to be
just as simple.  My old personal computer had no problem with that, so
long as you waited about a second before extracting the media.  Writes
were not immediate, but certainly not delayed indefinitely.

> I don't like anything to remove control of my machine from my hands,
> especially software which may inadvertently or intentionally do damage
> to my setup.

You haven't lost control.  Linux still offers you the old way of doing
things, if you really are such a glutton for punishment.

> Using volume names means ensuring that they never collide, and
> creates an entire name management problem.

Only if you never thought of it when naming things, and only if the OS
writers never thought of that neither.  For removable media, it doesn't
matter if all your discs are called "data", if you only have one disc
drive.  You can easily find it when mounted, it's /media/data, on every
PC that reads the volume label (not /mnt/data, or /mnt/cdrom,
or /media/cdwriter/, and so on, depending on which PC you're on at the
time).

Again, my fifteen year old Amiga handled those situations with aplomb.
If you had two liked named volumes inserted at the same time, the second
one would temporarily get a name change (volume.1 instead of just
volume).  And if you did something like open a file from "data", take
out the disc, insert another disc called "data" then try to save your
first file, it'd ask for you to swap discs.  It could tell like-named
discs apart.

It's the computer, it should be doing the work for you.

> Also, anything which "auto mounts" at any time is not going to survive
> on my machine for more than the time it takes to remove it permanently
> from my discs. Such behavior is a enormous security hole begging for
> a breach.

Bollocks.  Automounting a CD-ROM that I've inserted, should get it
mounted as owned by me, not root or someone else.  It shouldn't be able
to do anything to the *system*.  It should appear as an extension of
your own user-space.  And auto-mounting is not the same thing as
auto-running.