Re: No Video

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:02:32 -0800, "Charles R. Buchanan" <gobrowns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> took time to say the following:

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:13:51 +1030, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> took time to say the following:
>
>>On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 20:59 -0800, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
>>> I installed Fedora 6 yesterday and when booting up, there is no video.
>>> The monitor is on (indicator light is green). During the install, it
>>> correctly identified the video card so I assume it loaded/installed
>>> the correct drivers for it.
>>
>>There's the chance that you're sending video out of the frequency range
>>the monitor will scan at, and it's not giving you any error warning
>>about it.  You could try CTRL plus ALT plus the + or - keys on the
>>numberpad, and see if you've got a few modes to choose from.
>>
>>--
>>(This box runs FC5, my others run FC4 & FC6, in case that's
>> important to the thread.)
>

>Seems like maybe I have a LOT of work to do this evening because I tried
>the earlier suggestion and edited the line when GRUB loaded and went
>into text mode. It seems the install is all hosed. It said it couldn't
>find the file system and it couldn't kill the init. (or words to that
>effect) So I'm going to assume that I need to re-install Fedora.
>Thinking back, the install didn't take as long as I expected, but then
>again, ubuntu installs very quickly. (maybe because a lot of stuff is
>disabled?) Well, got to get to work.
>
>Thanks!

I got done early today and had time to stop and try a re-install. I
actually got two done. I used the cd's. (1&2) Which is kinda strange
since there are 6 cd's but it only uses two. <shrug>  So after that
installed failed (same error messages), I decided to use the DVD to
install Fedora. Same results. I don't quite get it why it is not finding
the filesystem and why it's saying the /dev/root file or directory can
not be found.

This is getting stranger by the second.