Re: Bonehead Move, noexec

Scott van Looy wrote:

If you have a runaway process that randomly creates a massive log on /var it won't hose the system.

If that runaway process isn't running as root, it won't hose your system anyway due to the 5% default ext2/3 root-only reservation.

Same for /tmp

See above. You can reboot into your broken system and clean it out -- and let's face it, it is a broken system if root processes are filling the filesystem. It's broken even if the filesystem has an artificial limit.

If you decide to add another drive it's very easy.

Yes, it's very easy to put both halves of the the single filesystem you unwisely stretched across two physical devices at twice the risk. LVM only makes sense when used on top of a raided substrate.

If you wish to only allocate x amount of space to /home and be warned when you're running out of space it's also trivial.

Yes, this system makes it trivial to keep running out of space in /home when you have plenty of space on the drive.

It's easy to add another drive and move the partition.

*shrug*  I can move partitions.

It's far easier to do a clean install and keep all your data in your /home partition (for upgrades or if you're rooted)

Already covered in this thread: if you choose to worship the "clean install" god, it is no more difficult to boot into runlevel 1 (A <space> 1 <enter>) before the install and nuke the dirs you regard as deprecated. Less difficult than spending every day under the hammer of the pointless no-space-when-there-is-plenty demon.

In my case, I triple boot XP, Vista and FC6, I have a seperate partition for data that's writeable by all three OSen

Well, I don't: I just have a Fedora / partition, and I guess most users of Fedora are the same.

Mostly, in my server, I have one partition per drive, as I'd not trust something like lvm not to eat all my data by mistake after an update...

Sounds like we agree on something!

-Andy