Re: How to convert ogg files to mp3

On 2/16/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
> Also, hardware support for ogg is almost non-existant.
WAS non existant. I've had a Rio Karma for years that plays oggs tho

I was hopeful that ogg was gaining acceptance too but that hope was
squashed this past Christmas which shopping for a digital music
player.

It appears that Microsoft's new "Plays for Sure" is making sure that
player no longer support oggs and no longer are accessible via USB
Mass Storage but rather the more awkward MTP. I had a heck of a time
trying to find a product in one of the main electronics stores that
had ogg support and acted like a UMS drive.

In the end, after a fair amount of research and hunting around, I
found one of the last iRiver T30s available. Unfortunately, the
firmware installer that was supposed to revert the T30 back to a UMS
device so that it could used on an OS other than XP, needed XP to run.
When I found an XP box to run it on, it wouldn't work. I had to return
it and buy a non-ogg Creative that acted like a UMS drive.

So the moral of the story is, while ogg compatibility *was* gaining
more acceptance in the hardware player world, they are no longer due
to "Plays for Sure". It makes me sad. I suppose some players are still
available by ordering online ... but good luck finding one in the
local electronics store.

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_PlaysForSure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol