Re: How to convert ogg files to mp3

On 16/02/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> I'd actually like to note that my music collection is in mp3 as I feel
> it's slightly better sounding than ogg. I don't remember what turned
> me off about ogg, but I decided not to use it. I only mention it
> because someone mentioned earlier in the thread that ogg sounds
> better.

It sounds much better. Especially at lower bitrates.

I didn't even bother testing the lower bit rates. I mostly hovered at
about 256-320 bpm for the mp3 and q=6 or 7 for the oggs. I didn't
really care to much about file sizes, either, so long as it didn't get
excessive. Note that I'm no audiophile.

> My music tastes usually include heavy guitar and drums, with
> not a small bit of electronic peices: Led Zepplin, Machina (Israeli
> rock), Pantera, Sepultura, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstien, Ministry.
> Appears that guitar doesn't compress so well in ogg. That was about
> 2002-ish, while Windows was still installed on this machine. Might I
> see better results ripping ogg with a newer Linux program?

Probably. I have Metallica/Zep/Floyd as oggs and it sounds fine ;)
Look at the archer optimised version...it's good

I will do that. Always looking for a new project to waste time on :)

> Also, hardware support for ogg is almost non-existant.

WAS non existant. I've had a Rio Karma for years that plays oggs tho

I'm done with seperate media players. With a laptop, a Dell Axim, and
a telephone I don't want any more devices. Either the Ax or the phone
must pull double duty. Right now it's the phone because of the Ax's
limited battery power, and the fact that it's tethered to my ears
anyway. But at the moment if I want to bring oggs with me then only
the Axim will do.

> My first
> portable mp3 player (SA-1 series) wouldn't play ogg, and neither does
> my current (Nokia 6280, playing double duty as a telephone).

I'd not use a phone for a music player. Terrible snr and "sorry I missed
your call, I've been listening to mp3s all day" put me off...that and lack
of standard headphones support - tho I understand you can get
converters...No 6280 ogg support, but newer phones (N70/71) can support
it...

N70 supports ogg? Good to know. I've written Nokia about lack of ogg
support, you know. I'm rather vocal in that regard.

I don't miss calls because I listen to music. Quite the opposite when
listening to music via the cellphone: the music stops and the phone
rings. With a seperate player, you have to count on feeling the phone
vibrate, which is not very reliable. Also, the headphones included
with my 6280 are absolutly wonderful- and I'm rather picky about
headphones.

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers <== loads of ogg support

Thanks.

> So I'd
> still have to keep the mp3's around. If I rerip as flac, is there a
> tool that will convert to mp3 on the fly when I copy to the Nokia's SD
> card (which I do very often)?

No idea, sorry. Maybe a rhythmbox plugin will let you do it?

I'll look into when I'm ready. As an Amarok user I'd go through
kde-look.org first.

Dotan Cohen

http://gmail-com.com/faq.php
http://song-liriks.com