Re: How to convert ogg files to mp3

Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

I'd actually like to note that my music collection is in mp3 as I feel
it's slightly better sounding than ogg. I don't remember what turned
me off about ogg, but I decided not to use it. I only mention it
because someone mentioned earlier in the thread that ogg sounds
better.

It sounds much better. Especially at lower bitrates.

My music tastes usually include heavy guitar and drums, with
not a small bit of electronic peices: Led Zepplin, Machina (Israeli
rock), Pantera, Sepultura, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstien, Ministry.
Appears that guitar doesn't compress so well in ogg. That was about
2002-ish, while Windows was still installed on this machine. Might I
see better results ripping ogg with a newer Linux program?

Probably. I have Metallica/Zep/Floyd as oggs and it sounds fine ;)
Look at the archer optimised version...it's good

Also, hardware support for ogg is almost non-existant.

WAS non existant. I've had a Rio Karma for years that plays oggs tho

My first
portable mp3 player (SA-1 series) wouldn't play ogg, and neither does
my current (Nokia 6280, playing double duty as a telephone).

I'd not use a phone for a music player. Terrible snr and "sorry I missed your call, I've been listening to mp3s all day" put me off...that and lack of standard headphones support - tho I understand you can get converters...No 6280 ogg support, but newer phones (N70/71) can support it...

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers <== loads of ogg support

So I'd
still have to keep the mp3's around. If I rerip as flac, is there a
tool that will convert to mp3 on the fly when I copy to the Nokia's SD
card (which I do very often)?

No idea, sorry. Maybe a rhythmbox plugin will let you do it?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

That's easy to fix, but I can't be bothered.