Re: Bonehead Move, noexec

Andy Green:
>>> Are there any other reasons to have partitions and LVM on boxes with
>>> one storage device and no possibility for internal expansion?

Tim:
>> I don't see much point of using LVM on a PC that can't possibly have
>> more than one hard drive, but partitions do still have their uses.  You
>> can mount certain things using file systems more efficient for the
>> purpose, you can mount certain things with protective restrictions (such
>> as noexec, nodev, etc.), and so on...

Andy Green:
> I guess that's a real benefit if you want to customize your fstab
> accordingly.  But I also guess few users who have multi partitions are
> doing this.  I think it is common mainly because it is the orthodoxy
> that admins with hair on their chest do it.

The obvious other things, like mounting /boot, /usr, and so on, as
read-only, puts one or two exploit vectors out the window, without ever
having to mess with SELinux, as well.  ;-)  If you're of a similar
vintage.

> /tmp isn't nodev by default either, but you can change that if you were
> hardening it all up I suppose.  Point taken then, but it is pretty
> specialized and maybe not a reason for everyone to get LVM by default.

I took things as being two questions...  Using multiple partitions,
rather than just one or two; with LVM being a separate issue (those
partitions could be part of LVM or something else), and LVM being
pointless on a system that could only have one drive, anyway (such as
most laptops, and a lot of the small desktop cases).

Another issue against LVM is trying to repair a system if it goes wonky.
If your first LVM drive goes wonky, everything else goes with it.  And
it doesn't seem ameniable to fsck.  I was getting errors that seemed
rather fatal, fsck couldn't help with the LVM disk.  But I wiped and
re-set up without LVM, and that disk drive passed all the error checks I
could throw at it.

Then there's the fun and games of trying to put one LVM disk into
another box to read stuff from the drive.  Dealing with two like-named
volume groups seems even worse that coping with like-named volume
labels.
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.