Re: Question about DST changes in the US

Mike McCarty wrote:

Ntp and fedora always run in UTC which doesn't change for local DST

Are you sure about this, Les? I've got a Fedora install, and I recall
specifically telling it to use hardware time, not UTC, and when I
boot Windows XP it tells me the same time as Fedora.

variations. The tzdata info is used for conversions to display localtime using the local conventions for the user's timezone.

Yes, it can keep the motherboard hardware clock in localtime but internally everything is UTC and converted to the user's timezone for display - and different users can be in different timezones at the same time. Try:

date
then
TZ=PST8PDT date (or any timezone other than the one you set as the default).

Basically the time() system call works in seconds since 00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970, and localtime() and variations take that value and convert to the local form.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx