Re: Bonehead Move, LVM

Michael A Peters wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 13:49 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 20:17:30 +0100,
 bram <bram@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Would it not be a good idea to add a checkbox in the installer wich says yes automic partitioning but no lvm.

I think doing the custom layout covers that case adequately. I think for the

No, it does not. The *default* install should not be something that
is worse than useless to the *average* user.

The average user does not accidentally delete their home directory by
incorrectly cut and paste into an xterm window.

I don't know how many times this statement has been proven wrong
in my experience. I have had to restore many directory trees from
"average users" accidentally putting a space where they intended
a single directory name.

Yes, not by "cut and paste" but by typo.

The rest of the stuff you wrote is opinionated, hence not really
arguable. You love LVM. I won't argue that. I won't allow statements
of fact to stand unchallenged.

The average user clobbers all kinds of stuff. Most restores of
data I have done have not been as a result of hardware failure,
but of average users deleting something accidentally.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.